Monday, May 9, 2011

Demolition Begins

By the time I got to the office this morning, workers were all over the building beginning preparations for the demolition of the connector wing. It was a buzz of activity! Clayton told us the electricity would be turned off, as would the phone service and water. So, after staff meeting at 11:00, we all made a bee-line for the one bathroom. I was last in line. By the time I got there, the water had been shut off.....Where's an outhouse when you need it?

I must say, the demolition of the connector wing was graceful. Yes, graceful. As I watched the huge claw hoe (I think that's what the machine is called) sink its teeth into the cinderblock walls and pull them apart from the buiding, I sensed a sense of reverence for the process. Clayton and the other workers weren't talking, they were watching, their hands by their sides. People driving through the alley stopped and simply looked. No one was talking - there was no chit-chat. It was quiet, save the sound of the gigantic claw hoe.

As I watched, quietly, I was reminded of a time that was similar. Several years ago I got to be present for an autopsy at a morgue. That, too, was quiet, and the autopsy was done with great reverence for the sanctity of life and death.

So, here are some pics from today's demolition adventure. Hopefully I'll have a video to share, too, perhaps tomorrow.
























Pastor or Construction Worker....???

1 comment: